Happy July! We are so happy to be welcoming sunnier days and long, lingering warm evenings. There is a big tree out the window of studio 3 - we love watching as it’s transformed from a dry, brown skeleton to a ball of bright green, flourishing leaves.
2018 is our year of Radical Self-Acceptance. July’s theme is COMPASSION and we’re reading The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz.
Compassion can be viewed as “a heart that trembles in the face of suffering… the motivation underlying all meditative paths of healing and liberation” (Standford University). We can show compassion toward ourselves and extend that compassion to others by recognizing our connectedness and moving toward love. Compassion is a response to suffering while acknowledging that “not all pain can be ‘fixed’ or ‘solved’ but all suffering is made more approachable in a landscape of compassion” (Standford University).
July 22-28th is our Week of Compassion. All classes are by donation, with proceeds going to the Kelowna Women’s Shelter. Cash and donation items will be accepted. Below is a list of what’s most needed. Please ensure all items are new and in original packaging.
- For women: tampons, razors, mascara.
- For babies: formula, food, diapers (all sizes), wipes, monitors, sleepers.
- Socks for women & children. All sizes.
- Pajamas for women & children. All sizes.
- Slippers for women & children. All sizes.
- Robes for women & children. All sizes.
- Underwear for women & children. All sizes.
- New bras. All sizes.
- Double and single sheets and plastic mattress protectors with zippers or elastic on sides.
- Pillows and pillow protectors.
- Glad or Ziplock reusable containers.
- Wash cloths and bath towels.
- Paper towels and toilet paper.
- Cleaning products.
- Liquid laundry soap.
- Garbage bags.
- Pay-as-you-go phone cards.
We will end our week of compassion with a special Class of Compassion on Saturday July 28th. Join us at 9:00am on the rooftop of the Innovation Centre for a gentle and inspiring yoga class. Saje will be offering essential oil neck massages and a cooling face mist and Glow Juicery will be providing delicious, refreshing juice. Tickets are $35 with all proceeds going to the Kelowna Women’s Shelter. Space is limited; buy now online or in the studio.
From the Four Agreements, “tell yourself how wonderful you are, how great you are. Tell yourself how much you love yourself. If you do your best in the search for personal freedom, in the search for self-love, you will find that it’s just a matter of time before you find what you are looking for.” With love and gratitude. See you on the mat.